But there's more to it than just picking the perfect hue. You must also decide whether you want a traditional bullet lipstick or a liquid formula. Not sure which one is right for you? Let’s dive into the differences so you can sound like a beauty pro.
Bullet Lipstick Basics
Bullet lipstick consists of a solid, pigmented stick encased in a tube. The lipstick’s compact size and pointed tip give it the bullet name. To apply it, just press the product directly to your lips. Benefits of traditional lipstick include:
- Simple application: It's easy to control where the color goes because you press the stick directly to your lips. Plus, you don’t have to worry about any drips or excess that might run or smudge like a liquid product.
- Blendable texture: Traditional lipstick comes in a variety of colors and a smooth, creamy texture. You can blend shades on a palette or right on your lips to create unique hues.
- Easy to remove: Bullet lipstick can be quickly removed using a damp cloth, tissue, or makeup remover wipe.
Bullet lipstick is convenient and user-friendly, but there are some important considerations. Wax-based formulas are soft, so they don’t have the same staying power as liquids—plan to reapply your color throughout the day. Modern bullet lipsticks offer long-lasting formulas to fight transfer and fading but are less durable than their liquid counterparts.
Since the lipstick itself is soft, it can also be harder to create a crisp, clean line. Starting with a lip liner or using a thin liner brush will give you that precise application.
Liquid Lipstick Basics
Unlike bullet lipstick, liquid lipstick isn't solid—as the name indicates, it comes in a liquid form. The color is applied using a small wand you dip into the container and swipe over the lips. A liquid lipstick tube looks a lot like lip gloss, but these products are not the same.
Why might you choose liquid lipstick over bullet lipstick? Here are some of the benefits:
- Bold color: Liquid lipstick can be more highly pigmented than a traditional lipstick. You only need one swipe of the wand to achieve striking color.
- Long-lasting: Liquid formulas are more durable and can last up to 8 hours. They don't transfer as easily and won't require constant application.
- One-step application: It can take a little time to get the hang of liquid lipstick, but a steady hand can negate the need for a separate liner. The wand allows you to draw crisp, clear lines and get into the corners of your lips without smudging.
Of course, liquid lipstick has its trade-offs too. The application is trickier than a bullet lipstick because the intense pigment can make mistakes more obvious. Plus, the long-lasting formula is tougher to remove at the end of the day. You’ll need to use an oil-based or balm cleanser first.
Is Liquid Lipstick or Bullet Lipstick Right for You?
So, who's the winner in the liquid lipstick vs. lipstick showdown? The truth is that the right lipstick type for you depends on your unique needs. If you want a bold color that lasts all night, liquid lipstick is that girl. If you want something simple to apply (and don't mind reapplying), a bullet lipstick will do the trick.
Get unforgettable, long-lasting color with our Velvetines Liquid Lipstick or a comfortable soft-focus look with Plushies Soft Liquid Lipstick. Want to go for a bullet lipstick? A swipe of our Soft Touch Lipstick is sure to make a statement.
No matter which formula you choose, start with a layer of Ghost Veil Lip Primer for a smoother application and longer wear.If color makes you smile too, spread the love on Instagram and TikTok!