If the thought of dying your hair traditional blonde or brunette makes you yawn, fantasy hair color might be exactly what you need to spice things up. As the name suggests, fantasy hair is all about going beyond natural shades and embracing the fantastical—think other-worldly hues, from vivid blues to cotton-candy pinks.
If you're feeling bold, a fantasy dye job can be the perfect match for your mood. That said, there are a few things to beware of before you embrace your inner unicorn. Below, we explain exactly what fantasy hair color is, reveal some of our favorite fantasy hair ideas, and detail how to attain and maintain this unique look without getting your tresses into trouble.
What Is Fantasy Hair?
Fantasy hair doesn't mean you have to dye your head every shade of the rainbow—but you certainly could if you wanted to! Basically, anything that isn't a natural shade qualifies as fantasy hair.
Red, black, blonde, brunette, gray are all shades of hair that occur naturally and don't fall under the umbrella of fantasy hair. Examples of hues that would be considered fantasy hair include pink, blue, green, magenta, and purple, to name a few.
Fun Fantasy Hair Color Ideas
Fantasy hair might spark immediate images of flowing colorful mermaid hair. That's just one of the many ways you can make this look work for you, though. Here are some other ideas to spark your creativity:
- Fantasy ombre: Take the traditional ombre look and reinvigorate it with eye-catching hues. Dreamy pastels look lovely when paired with light blond. If you’re starting with darker hair, choose a bolder, brighter dye for your ombre.
- Dip-dyed: Add vibrancy to the ends of your strands. If you go this route, aim for bold contrasts in funky colors, like fiery orange or electric blue. What makes this different from the ombre? Dip-dyeing produces more of a color block effect than a gradual transition.
- Split down the middle: Have two fantasy colors you can't decide between? Get the best of both worlds and try them both, splitting your hair down the middle.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to fantasy color because creativity is the name of the game. There are plenty of fun ways to get the fantasy hair look.
How to Achieve Fantasy Hair
Applying and maintaining fantasy color is a careful craft. First off, you may need to bleach your tresses before you can jazz them up with a vibrant hue. If you're new to bleaching, we're here to help you get it right.
Bleaching basically transforms your hair into a blank canvas for your fantasy dye. Follow the steps for successful DIY hair coloring to keep the dye where you want it and away from any surfaces that might stain.
Tips for Keeping Your Fantasy Hair Color Fresh
Once you've completed your dye job, you want to care for it. Most vibrant colors are semi-permanent, so the color doesn't penetrate the hair shaft completely but sits on top of it. This means it will fade over time—but you can slow down that process.
We all love a good blowout, but it's a good idea to avoid heat-styling colored hair too often. Heat strips moisture from your locks, drying strands and making them brittle and more prone to breakage. Plus, frequent heat-styling can fade your hair color faster.
Other steps you can take to maintain your hair color include:
- Avoiding UV rays and chlorine
- Shampooing less frequently
- Using a dry shampoo between washes
Finally, beware that both bleaching and dying can damage the hair and make it more prone to breakage. Invest in nourishing hair care products to nurture your stressed tresses.Make fantasy hair your reality—you bring the imagination, and we’ll hook you up with the color. Show off your new ‘do on Instagram and follow us on TikTok for even more clever beauty ideas.