HOW TO CHOOSE THE PERFECT LIPSTICK COLOR FOR YOUR SKIN TONE
Makeup trends may keep changing with time. But we can surely tell that lipsticks are never going out of fashion. It’s every makeup wearer's dream to flaunt a lipstick that compliments their entire makeup look. It may seem like an easy task to visit your favorite makeup brand (cough cough) and choose a lipstick that suits you. But, we know how confusing it can get with plenty of options that all look so good in the lipstick aisle. Here’s everything you need to know about choosing the right lipstick for you.
DETERMINE YOUR SKIN TONE
First, you need to identify your skin tone. There are five main skin tones: deep, tan, medium, light and fair. Every skin tone reflects a lipstick shade differently.
For fair skin tones, shades like dusty red, peach, nude, coral and light pink look stunning. Whereas, shades like mauve, cherry red, rose and berry are perfect for people with a medium skin tone. Those with a tan skin tone can go with deep pink, bright red and coral shades. Those with a deep skin tone can rock purple and brown shades like wine, caramel, plum and blue-based reds.
HOW TO FIND YOUR UNDERTONE
Your skin undertones also play a significant part in determining what lipstick shade you should choose. Many are unaware of their undertones and end up buying lipsticks that look good on their hand swatches, but not on their lips.
Skin undertone is the pigment of your skin that reflects from underneath your skin. There are mainly three skin undertones — warm, cool and neutral. Let's review!
HOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE A COOL UNDERTONE?
If you have a red, pink or a bluish-hue to your skin, you probably have a cool undertone. If the veins on the back of your wrist appear blue, you have a cool undertone. Also, if silver jewelry complements your skin and you feel your skin burning in the sun before tanning, you can determine that you have a cool undertone.
LIPSTICKS FOR COOL UNDERTONE
Try avoiding lip colors that have an orange or yellowish undertone. These colors may make your skin appear pale. While choosing reds and corals, instead of choosing orangey reds, go for cherry red shades with a bluish undertone.
Here are some lipstick shade suggestions for people with cool undertones:
- Light and fair skin with a cool undertone: A soft, light mauve, rosy pink shade with a bluish undertone can give a more natural look.
- Medium skin with a cool undertone: Using dusty rose lipstick shades can make you stand apart.
- Tan skin with a cool undertone: You can go for a range of shades like mauve, purple, berry, dusty rose, bluish-red and pink.
- Deep skin with a cool undertone: People with this skin tone can rock plum shades with bluish undertones. These shades pop and contrast against your skin.
HOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE A WARM UNDERTONE?
You have a warm undertone if you have a golden, peachy, yellow or olive hue to your skin. Check the veins at the back of your wrist, and if they appear green, you probably have a warm undertone. If gold jewelry looks best on you and you tan easily, you have a warm undertone. A warm undertone is not just reserved for deeper skin shades. People with a fair or medium complexion also have warm undertones.
LIPSTICKS FOR WARM UNDERTONE
People with warm undertones can go for oranges, fiery reds and copper tones. These lip shades in warm colors complement and enhance your skin tone. Shades like terracotta browns, brick reds and bold oranges are perfect for warm undertones. If you want nude lipstick, go for the nude shades that match your skin tone. Go for paler nude if you have fair skin and richer nude for a deep skin tone.
Here are some lipstick shade suggestions for people with warm undertones:
- Fair skin with a warm undertone: Using a peachier and warmer lipstick shades can make your face brighter.
- Medium skin with a warm undertone: This skin tone will look stunning in rich, deep nudes and copper shades. Explore the nude lipstick collection of Plushies Liquid Lipstick to get the perfect nude shade for your skin.
- Tan or olive skin with a warm undertone: People with this skin tone can pull off warm, berry, deep red or orangey nudes. These shades enhance the honey, golden tones and make your skin more radiant.
- Deep skin with a warm undertone: Shades like merlot and cabernet can complement deeper skin tones.
HOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE A NEUTRAL UNDERTONE?
Neutral undertones make your lipstick selection easier as people with these undertones can pull off a variety of shades. Neutral skins don’t have an obvious undertone, and if you’re having trouble determining your undertone, you likely have a neutral undertone. If a mix of pink and yellow shades radiate from your skin’s base and you look good in both gold and silver jewelry, you have a neutral undertone. Also, if the veins at the back of your palm don’t appear blue or green, you can classify yourself with a neutral undertone.
LIPSTICKS FOR NEUTRAL UNDERTONE
Since your skin tone is neutral, you can pick lipsticks in almost any shade family. Everything from lighter shades to deeper hues can complement your skin. With a neutral undertone, the natural color of the skin is more prominent and the skin tone is very even. If you want to play safe, you can choose shades depending on your complexion.
Here are some lipstick shade suggestions for people with neutral undertones:
- Light and fair skin with neutral undertone: You can choose blush-pink shades that will complement your skin tone.
- Medium skin with neutral undertone: Medium skin tones look gorgeous in mauve, peach and light pinkish-brown tones.
- Tan or olive skin with neutral undertone: This skin tone can rock a wide range of shades, including orange or blue-based reds.
- Deep skin with neutral undertone: Shades like deep orange, burgundy, berry, bronze and peach will look striking on deep skin.
CHOOSING THE PERFECT LIPSTICK FOR YOUR SKIN TONE
SOFT TOUCH LIPSTICKS
The comfortable and long-lasting formula of Soft Touch Lipsticks makes it a comfortable, all-day wear. With its buttery soft touch and non-drying characteristics, your lips will feel hydrated and moisturized throughout the day. Available in 12 flirty, retro-inspired shades, you can choose the perfect shade to compliment your skin tone.
The irresistible minty-vanilla smell and lightweight formula hydrate your lips while maintaining their vibrant hue. Whether you’re looking for deep reds, bright orange or peachy pinks, Soft Touch Lipstick has the perfect shade for everyone.
VELVETINES LIQUID LIPSTICKS
Who doesn’t like a richly pigmented full-coverage lipstick that you can wear all day? Lime Crime’s Velvetines Liquid Lipstick is the perfect long-wearing lipstick. Satisfy your rich pigment cravings with the majestic assortment of shades of Velvetines Liquid Lipstick.
With its long-lasting, kiss-proof and touch-proof formula, you don’t have to worry about touch-ups and lipstick stains. Available in 24 shades from deep and dark reds to subtle and pretty pinks, this matte liquid lipstick can be paired with Velvetines Lip Liner for smoother application.
Try the new generation nude lip shades of Plushies Soft Matte Liquid Lipsticks. The transfer-proof and buildable formula augments your natural lip color and leaves a soft, smooth and hydrated finish. Whether you have a fair, medium, tan or deep skin tone, Plushies Lipsticks has the perfect nude shade for everyone. One coat of Plushies Lipsticks is all you need to keep your lips hydrated for long with a perfectly natural look.
WET CHERRY LIP GLOSS
Get the flawless shine without the stickiness with the Wet Cherry Lip Gloss. Pair it up with any shade of Lime Crime lipstick or apply it on your bare lips to get the ultra glossy, glistering shine that complements your makeup. Its lightweight, non-sticky formula gives you a radiant wet reflective effect.
VELVETINES LIP LINER
Match these lip liners with your favorite shade of glossy, matte, sheer or plush lipsticks by Lime Crime. The creamy, on-point precision lets you define and accentuate the shape of your beautiful lips and keeps the lipstick locked in for several hours. Its velvety matte texture glides smoothly on your lips and gives you the perfect pout.
MAKE YOUR LIPSTICK LAST LONGER WITH THE PROPER CARE
Struggling with the regular lipstick touch-ups to get a flawless look throughout the day? Here’s how you can make your lipsticks stay longer:
- Exfoliate your lips to get rid of flaky, dry lips using our Golden Cherry Lip Scrub. It also helps prep your lips for a smooth all-day stay application.
- Moisturize your lips daily using a lip balm or our Golden Cherry Lip Oil to keep them hydrated, soft and smooth.
- Apply an even, thin layer of our Ghost Veil Lip Primer to create a smooth surface for lipstick application. Lip primers add an invisible shield to your lips and make your lipsticks last longer.
- Lastly, use a lip liner to prevent smudging and feathering of your lipstick.
GET THE BEST QUALITY LIP PRODUCTS AT LIME CRIME
Looking for some inspiration for your next makeup look? Follow @limcrimemakeup on Instagram, and don’t forget to tag us in your next makeup post!